Are you feeling more sick and tired than usual? Maybe you and your family and pets are having strange symptoms you can't attribute to any health condition. If these symptoms are causing you to make frequent trips to the doctor, and the doctor has no answers, think back to when they started. If your symptoms started soon after you moved into your house, it may actually be your house that is sick, and it's contagious.

Here are the three most common house sicknesses, how you can tell if your house is infected, and what to do about it.

1. Black Mold

Black mold is a problem in houses where there is a lot of standing dampness. It grows in places that are wet most of the time, especially in dark, wet areas made of wood, paper, or other organic materials. If your house has leaks in the roof or basement, you could be at risk for black mold. It can get into your walls if left alone for too long, and cause your entire household to become sick.

Symptoms of black mold exposure include:

  • Fatigue
  • Respiratory problems
  • Skin problems
  • Neurological problems (including confusion and "brain fog")
  • Immune system problems
  • Reproductive problems
  • Eye problems
  • Weight loss
  • General pain

In some cases, black mold exposure can even kill a person or pet. That's why it is a very serious condition for a house. If you suspect your house has black mold, get a mold removal company to test. If the test is positive, specialized mold removal will have to be done by trained professionals. The good news is that once the mold is gone, your symptoms should clear up.

2. Chinese Drywall

Between 2004 and 2007, new houses that were being built in the United States were at risk of getting Chinese drywall. There was a drywall shortage in the United States at the time, and large amounts of it were imported to fill the huge demand for new construction. Much of this drywall was contaminated with toxic waste.

The toxic waste in the drywall produced gasses that made people and pets in these houses sick, and also caused corrosion of metals. If you are living in a house built between 2004 and 2007 and have the following symptoms, you may have Chinese drywall:

  • Burning, watering eyes
  • Skin rashes
  • Itching
  • Sinus problems
  • Hay fever symptoms
  • Asthma
  • Allergy symptoms
  • Fatigue
  • The smell of rotten eggs in your house at all times
  • Corroding metal surfaces, pipes, and wires in your house

What is the solution to Chinese drywall? Fortunately, the government is aware of the problem. Call either the company that built your house, or a local housing contractor, and get your house tested. If the test comes back positive, the government will pay for your house to be fixed. The old, toxic drywall will be removed, and new, healthy replacement wall will be installed. Your lodging expenses while you have to be out of the house will also be paid for you.

3. Lead Paint

Any house in the United States that was built before 1978 may have lead paint in it. While it has long been known that young children get sick from eating lead paint chips (and sometimes end up with lowered IQs because of it), it is now known constant exposure through touching lead paint surfaces can make anyone sick.

According to the National Library of Medicine, symptoms of lead paint exposure include:

  • Behavior problems in children
  • Attention problems
  • Reduced appetite
  • Fatigue
  • Headaches
  • Constipation
  • Abdominal pain
  • General irritability

If you suspect your house has lead paint and it's making you and your family sick, call the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (aka H.U.D). They will let you know how to safely get rid of the lead paint in your home.

It will usually involve a professional contractor coming in, stripping the old paint, removing some parts of the house where the paint can't be stripped, then replacing and repainting the affected areas with safe materials.

Conclusion

There is no reason to risk your health and that of your family and pets by living in a sick house. The symptoms are easy to recognize, and there are fixes for everything. If you suspect your house is sick, do something about it. Call a professional today and get your life and health back by curing your house. Click here to read more

Share